Skip to main content


group of students

For Children, kindergarten is the beginning of their education and their first steps outside the familiarity of home. For many parents, it’s the start of a relationship with their public school system.

At Edison we know how important this year is. Kindergarten students need a chance to start developing a love of learning. They need to feel comfortable in school as they learn basic skills and information, how to act around others, how to work in a group and how to listen and share. Parents need to establish regular, open communication with school staff so that students can get the most out of their education from kindergarten all the way through fifth grade.

The Edison kindergarten program strives to give parents and students the right start in education by caring for and understanding each child’s needs and each parent’s concerns. We encourage parents to contact us whenever they have questions or concerns.

Welcome to kindergarten and to Edison. Working together, we can build a path to every child’s future.


To enroll in kindergarten, your student must be 5 years old on or before September 1 of the school year. If your child will turn 5 later in September and you believe he or she would qualify for and benefit from advanced grade placement, you may request early entry for your child.


Edison asks parents to register their new kindergarten students in April of the preceding year.

View the homepage blog for information on registration for the 2023-24 school year.


Every residence in the Eugene School District is in the attendance area of a neighborhood elementary, middle and high school. Most families send their children to their neighborhood schools, which offer many advantages. Please check in with our office manager if you are uncertain if you reside in the Edison attendance area.  If you live outside of the Edison regional boundary, you may request admittance into Edison.  Requests are granted through an annual lottery, held each spring for the following school year.  Families who live outside of the district’s boundary may apply for an out-of-district transfer.