Our Mission at Edison Elementary is to provide an educational experience that prepares all students to be competent, compassionate, contributing members of the Edison community and inspired global citizens.
About our school
Edison Elementary is a rare treasure: a traditional neighborhood location where the majority of students walk or bike to school. Established in 1926, Edison has educated generations of neighbors, including a former principal.
Our school values of Cooperation, Compassion, Integrity, Inclusion, and Respect are infused in everything we do. We care deeply about educating future citizens of the world, and our curriculum and activity choices reflect this value. Our community garden is rapidly growing, and is proving to be fertile ground for education and exploration.
Edison is located in the South Eugene area near the University of Oregon.
School Office: Attendance Line:
*Please call the attendance line to report your child’s absence.
School Hours (all grades):
Monday – Thursday: 7:55a – 2:25p
Friday: 7:55a – 1:10p
Breakfast daily at 7:30a
7:30 am – Cafeteria open for breakfast
7:55 am – Doors open – Students will taken in from blacktop
8:00 am – Morning Announcements. In your seat, ready to learn!
2:25 pm – School day ends (M-Th)
1:10 pm – Early Release (Fri. only)
School Mascot: Toucan
2855 Lincoln St.
Eugene, OR 97405
New Student Info
- We have a parent volunteer who welcomes new families to our school making phone calls before and during the school year.
- We have kindergarten orientation sessions before school begins.
- We have a Meet the Teacher event the night before school starts.
- We put out a school directory late in the fall with family contact info to make it easier to set up play dates, meetings, carpools, etc.
- We have a weekly Parent Council eNewslette
Enrichment is integrated into the curriculum at Edison. Current examples include:
- Japanese activities during Ocean Week such as Gyotaku (fish printing), sushi.
- Environmental education theme: River Spies after-school science program; Ocean Week; water-themed (pond/wetland, watershed, estuary, ocean) projects throughout the year.
- Meet the Masters art program introduces a variety of artists through hands-on projects.
- Caring School Community curriculum is in use in all grades.
Instructional Assistants (IAs)
- We have dedicated IAs in Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd grade classrooms – they really help with improving kids’ reading skills
- They are available in 3rd–5th grade as needed.
- Parent-generated funds pay for a significant portion of this IA staff time.
- School-wide reading curriculum is Houghton-Mifflin
- Math curriculum is LearnZilliion
- We currently offer two days of physical education and music instruction per week for each student
- Curriculum Nights (back to school night for parents) occur for each grade in September
- We have 4 COWs (“computer on wheels” carts) with 20 laptops
- Laptops are used by all grades
- Smart boards are available and used by some of the teachers
There are many opportunities to volunteer at school (in the classroom, library, school-wide events) and with Parent Council (meetings, fundraisers, planning, etc.). We have a very active and involved parent group.
For busing information, see Nan in the office or call 541-790-7474