Edison Elementary is a rare treasure: a traditional neighborhood location where the majority of students walk or bike to school. Established in 1926, Edison has educated generations of neighbors, including our principal.
Our school values of Cooperation, Compassion, Integrity, Inclusion, and Respect are infused in everything we do. We care deeply about educating future citizens of the world, and our curriculum and activity choices reflect this value. Our community garden is rapidly growing, and is proving to be fertile ground for education and exploration.
Some Edison Facts
School Mascot: Toucan
Kindergarten – 5th grade: M/T/Th/F 8:25 – 2:45; W 8:25 – 1:10
7:55 am – Cafeteria open for breakfast
8:15 am – Doors open – enter on 22nd or at bike shelter
8:25 am – Morning Announcements. In your seat, ready to learn!
2:45 pm – K-5th school day ends (M, T, Th, F)
1:10 pm – K-5th Early Release (Wed. only)
Mission Statement: Our mission is to provide an educational experience that prepares all students to be competent, compassionate, contributing members of the Edison community and inspired global citizens.
- School-wide reading curriculum is Houghton-Mifflin
- math curriculum is LearnZilliion
- We currently offer two days of physical education and one day of music instruction per week for each student
- Curriculum Nights (back to school night for parents) occur for each grade in September
Enrichment is integrated into the curriculum at Edison. Current examples include:
- Japanese activities during Ocean Week such as Gyotaku (fish printing), sushi.
- Environmental education theme: River Spies after-school science program; Ocean Week; water-themed (pond/wetland, watershed, estuary, ocean) projects throughout the year.
- Meet the Masters art program introduces a variety of artists through hands-on projects.
- Caring School Community curriculum is in use in all grades.
- We have 4 COWs (“computer on wheels” carts) with 20 laptops
- Laptops are used by all grades
- Smart boards are available and used by some of the teachers
Instructional Assistants (IAs)
- We have dedicated IAs in Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd grade classrooms – they really help with improving kids’ reading skills
- They are available in 3rd–5th grade as needed.
- Parent-generated funds pay for a significant portion of this IA staff time.
Welcome Committee/Back to School Picnic/Student Directory
- We have a group of parent volunteers who welcome new families to our school through phone calls, e-mails and playground meet-ups before the new school year starts.
- We also have a new family orientation/tour and back-to-school picnic the day before school begins.
- We put out a school directory each fall with family contact info to make it easier to set up play dates, meetings, carpools, etc.
There are many opportunities to volunteer at school (in the classroom, library, school-wide events) and with Parent Council (meetings, fundraisers, planning, etc.). We have a very active and involved parent group.
For busing information, see Nan in the office or call 541-790-7474. http://www.4j.lane.edu/transportation/